for solo mezzo soprano
Commissioned by Rosalie Warner for 'Visionary Bodies'
Choreography by Greta Schutzer.
fp Rosalie Warner Perception 20|21, APT Gallery, Deptford | 6th May 2018
Realms of being:
representation of different emotional states within oneself
1. Crying Dog (feat. panting) - needy, talking to self, sometimes whining sometimes eager
2. Priest - authority, kind, mild ego.
3. Being exorcised - Anxiety, extreme feeling of being out of sync with the self, good prevails.
4. Fallen Angel - vulnerability, heartbreak, meek but discovering lost strength
5. Over-Excited Child - embodiment of extreme excitement, bewilderment, living moment to moment, infant/young toddler.
6. Inner Calm - neutral, absence of emotion, still, presence, acceptance.
Angels’ jaws of dying stone
spat glistening fish to barren ground
and in the dust they thrashed
so quietly danced the burned out sparks
from bones to bodies low
I, red at dawn
My heart, with strings of sapphire
playing fiery grace
these are the thrones